- Serves 4
- 15 mins to prepare and 45 mins to cook
- 632 calories/serving
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Two large aubergines, finely chopped
- One onion, finely chopped.
- Two garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 150g porridge oats
- handful basil, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g wholewheat spaghetti
- To make the veg balls, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the aubergine and half the onion and cook for 8-10 mins, occasionally stirring, until softened.
- Tip the mixture into a food processor and leave to cool slightly.
- For the sauce, return the saucepan to the heat and add another 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the remaining onion and cook for 10 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Pour in the tomatoes and 200ml water, reduce the heat to low, and season to taste. Cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once the aubergine has cooled slightly, add the oregano, oats, basil, and salt to the food processor.
- Pulse the mixture a few times until it comes together.
- With wet hands to stop it from sticking (the blend will be very soft), roll the mixture into 16 balls.
- Place the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the veg balls and cook for 5-8 mins or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti to the pack instructions.
- Drain and add to the tomato sauce, tossing to coat.
- Add the veg balls, then divide between bowls and top with a few extra basil leaves.
Tip: Try using the aubergine veg balls in a wrap with houmous and slaw for a colorful veggie lunch.