This Asian-inspired vegetarian meal is ideal for grilling. For a fresh and feisty finale, miso-glazed aubergine is grilled until gorgeously charred and topped with vibrant spring onion, chopped peanuts, and red chilli. Furthermore, it is completely vegan!
- 3 aubergines, halved lengthways, flesh scored
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 35g salted peanuts or cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 small spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 10g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
For the glaze
- 100ml mirin
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tsp very finely chopped lemongrass (about ⅛ of a stem)
- Light the barbecue (or preheat the grill to hot). Whisk the glaze ingredients together.
- Brush the skins of the aubergines with oil and brush half the glaze onto the cut sides, making sure it gets into the score lines.
- Leave to marinate for 15 mins (If you wait much longer, the aubergines will turn soggy.)
- Barbecue, skin-side down, for 10 mins until the flesh is tender, then baste the scored side with more glaze.
- Carefully turn the aubergines over and barbecue, flesh-side down, for 4-5 mins until browned and lightly charred.
- heck, the aubergines regularly to make sure they're not sticking to the bars.
- Brush the cooked aubergines with the remaining glaze, then top with the nuts, spring onions, chilli and coriander.
- Serve with any extra glaze alongside.