Beef moussaka with tomatoes recipe
- Serves 6
- 15 mins to prepare and 1 hr to cook
- 602 calories/serving
- Two large aubergines
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- One large onion, diced
- Two garlic cloves
- 700g beef mince
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- One bay leaf
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 50ml (2fl oz) milk
- 200ml beef stock
- Five tomatoes, sliced
- 2tbsp grated Parmesan
For the white sauce
- 75g butter
- 100g (3½oz) plain flour
- 450ml (¾pt) milk
- Two egg yolks
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200ºC, and fan 180ºC. Heat a grill or griddle pan until hot.
- Brush the aubergine slices with two tablespoons of oil and grill both sides until golden.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes before adding the mince.
- Cook until browned, then stir in the flour, oregano, bay leaf, and tomato purée.
- Mix, add the milk and stock, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the white sauce. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour to make a roux.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, gradually whisk in the milk, then stir over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season, and stir in the egg yolks and nutmeg.
- Layer half of the aubergine slices on the bottom of an ovenproof dish and top with half the tomatoes.
- Pour over the mince, then layer on the remaining aubergines and tomatoes.
- Top with white sauce and Parmesan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.
Looking for delicious and easy-to-make healthy recipes? Select one of the healthiest food network recipes at thefoodnetworkrecipes.com.
No results for your search, please try with something else.
Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.