Blackberry surprise muffins recipe
- Serves 12
- 55 minutes, plus cooling
- 260 calories/serving
- 200g self-raising flour
- 75g porridge oats
- 75g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Two eggs, beaten
- 100ml maple syrup
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 100g Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 ½ eating apples, peeled, cored, and diced (about 150g prepared fruit)
- 200g blackberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus 2 tsp extra
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 60g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, and fan 160°C.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases. Put the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and mix in 75ml maple syrup, the oil, yogurt, vanilla, and milk.
- Stir the wet mix into the dry; fold through the apple.
- Spoon into the cases and bake for 25 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, put the berries in a pan with 1 tbsp lemon juice and the remaining maple syrup.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 mins, or until the berries have softened.
- Put in a blender and purée. Return to the pan, reserving 1 tbsp in a small bowl.
- Whisk the cornflour into this, then add to the pan. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 3 mins, or until thick.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and leave them to cool in the tin for 10 mins.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Using an apple corer or teaspoon, remove the cores of the muffins to about halfway; reserve.
- Fill the holes with blackberry purée, then press the core back in place.
- Whisk 2 tsp lemon juice with the icing sugar in a bowl, then drizzle over the muffins.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.
Looking for delicious and easy-to-make healthy recipes? Select one of the healthiest food network recipes at thefoodnetworkrecipes.com.
No results for your search, please try with something else.
Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.