This Bourbon BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe is a perfect choice for a special occasion or a weekend BBQ party. The rich flavor of the bourbon whiskey adds a depth of flavor to the pork, and the sweet and tangy BBQ sauce ties everything together. This sandwich is easy to make and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 4 pounds pork shoulder or butt, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Hamburger buns, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, bourbon whiskey, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the pork shoulder or butt to the pot and spoon the sauce over the top. Cover the pot and place it in the oven.
- Cook the pork for about 4-5 hours, or until it is fork-tender and easily shreds with a fork.
- Once the pork is done, remove it from the pot and place it on a cutting board. Let it cool for a few minutes, then shred it with two forks.
- Return the shredded pork to the pot with the sauce and stir to coat the pork in the sauce.
- To serve, place some of the pulled pork on a hamburger bun and top with additional BBQ sauce, if desired.
- You can make the BBQ sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- If you don't have bourbon whiskey, you can substitute it with another type of whiskey or omit it altogether.
- For an extra smoky flavor, try using smoked salt or adding a few drops of liquid smoke to the BBQ sauce.
This Bourbon BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe is a delicious and easy way to elevate your next BBQ party or special occasion. The rich flavor of the bourbon whiskey and the sweet and tangy BBQ sauce make this sandwich a crowd-pleaser, and it's easy to make in a Dutch oven or oven-safe pot. Don't be afraid to experiment with different types of whiskey or BBQ sauce to make this recipe your own.