- Serves 4
- 10 mins to prepare and 12 mins to cook
- 247 calories/serving
- 2 cauliflowers, outer leaves removed,
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
For the herb sauce,
- 30g fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped,
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 30g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1-2 lemons
- Preheat the barbecue.
- Trim the base of the cauliflowers so that they sit flat, then cut into 2cm-thick slices (see Tip, below).
- In a small bowl, mix together 3 tbsp of the oil with the caraway seeds and garlic.
- Season, then brush the oil all over the cauliflower steaks.
- Cook on the preheated barbecue, away from the main heat, for 5-6 mins on each side until charred and just tender.
- Alternatively, cook the steaks (2 at a time, depending on their size) in a griddle pan over medium-low heat for the same time.
- Meanwhile, mix together the chopped herbs, spring onions, chilli, and the remaining 3 tbsp of oil in a small bowl.
- Squeeze in the juice of ½ a lemon and taste–add a little more lemon juice or oil to taste.
- Drizzle the herb sauce over the steaks and serve with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.
Tip: Cauliflowers come in a variety of sizes; try to locate two that are the same size and cut four slices from each. Any leftover end bits can be blitzed into cauliflower rice and tossed through a salad or added to a tray bake of roasted veggies.
If you don't have caraway seeds, fennel seeds will work.