Get ready to sink your teeth into the ultimate comfort food with a Southern twist. Our Carolina-style BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches feature slow-cooked pulled pork smothered in a tangy, vinegar-based BBQ sauce and topped with creamy coleslaw, all served up on a soft bun. This classic recipe will transport you straight to the South with every delicious bite.
For the pulled pork
- 3-4 lbs pork shoulder or butt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the coleslaw
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the sandwiches
- 8-10 soft buns
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to create a dry rub for the pork.
- Rub the dry mixture all over the pork shoulder, making sure to coat the entire surface.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, add the apple cider vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the pork shoulder to the pot and spoon some of the sauce over the top.
- Cover the pot with a lid and place it in the oven. Cook for about 4-5 hours or until the pork is fork-tender and falls apart easily.
- While the pork is cooking, prepare the coleslaw. In a large bowl, mix together shredded cabbage, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, celery salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Once the pork is done, remove it from the pot and place it on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the pork into small pieces.
- Return the shredded pork to the pot with the sauce and stir to coat.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spoon some of the pulled pork onto the bottom half of a soft bun. Top with a scoop of coleslaw and place the other half of the bun on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- For a spicier sauce, add more hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the BBQ sauce.
- If you don't have a Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, you can use a slow cooker instead. Simply cook the pork on low for 8 hours or until it's tender.
- You can also use pre-shredded coleslaw mix for a quicker option.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes, such as corn on the cob or baked beans.
There you have it, the perfect recipe for Carolina-style BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. The tender pulled pork, tangy BBQ sauce, and creamy coleslaw make for a delicious combination that will satisfy any Southern food cravings. Give this recipe a try and enjoy a taste of the South right