- Serves 4
- 10 mins to prepare and 25 mins to cook
- 240 calories / serving
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 180g pack whole chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 10g fresh thyme, finely chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- mixed leaf salad, to serve (optional)
For the crumb topping
- 50g roughly chopped bread
- 30g walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 30g pack fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas 4) and 160°C (fan). Remove the mushroom stalks and set them aside. Half of the oil should be rubbed into the mushrooms. Place them skin-side down in a roasting tin and bake for 10 minutes, or until they soften and turn pale yellow.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium heat, heat the remaining oil. Cook for 5 minutes after adding the onion. Chop the reserved mushroom stems and combine with the chestnuts and thyme in the onions. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until tender and caramelized.
- To make the crumb topping, mix together all of the ingredients in a food processor. Fill each mushroom with the chestnut mixture, then top with the nutty crumbs (there may be some left over).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the stuffed mushrooms for 15 minutes, or until brown. If desired, serve with a handful of mixed leaf salad.
Tip: Both the chestnut stuffing and the crumb topping can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a few days, or frozen in freezer-safe containers for up to 1 month and defrosted overnight in the fridge before serving.