If you're looking for a classic and delicious Mexican dish to add to your recipe collection, look no further than these chicken enchiladas. Made with tender shredded chicken, corn tortillas, and flavorful enchilada sauce, these enchiladas are perfect for a family dinner or special occasion. In this recipe, we'll walk you through the steps to make these enchiladas from scratch, including tips for making them your own.
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups enchilada sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, or a mix)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken and 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce. Set aside.
- Warm the corn tortillas in the microwave or on the stove until they are soft and pliable. (This will make them easier to roll.)
- Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture down the center of the tortilla. Roll it up tightly and place it seam-side down in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken mixture.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the rolled tortillas, making sure they are evenly coated. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake the enchiladas for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the enchiladas hot, topped with sour cream, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- You can use leftover cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken for this recipe to save time.
- Customize the enchiladas with your favorite toppings, such as diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, or sliced black olives.
- To make the enchiladas spicier, add some chopped green chilies or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the chicken mixture.
- If you prefer, you can use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas for a softer texture.
With their delicious combination of tender shredded chicken, flavorful enchilada sauce, and gooey melted cheese, these classic chicken enchiladas are sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Don't be afraid to experiment with different toppings and fillings to make them your own. Give this recipe a try and see how easy it is to make restaurant-quality enchiladas at home.