Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish that is known for its tangy, savory sauce made with lemon, capers, and white wine. This delicious and easy-to-make recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner or an impressive dinner party. In this recipe, tender chicken breasts are lightly coated in flour and pan-fried to golden perfection, then simmered in a flavorful sauce that is both tangy and savory. The result is a dish that is sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for seconds.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Special Instructions or Substitutions: If you don't have dry white wine, you can substitute it with chicken or vegetable broth. You can also use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Begin by pounding the chicken breasts to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the butter has melted and the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
- Add the white wine, lemon juice, chicken broth, and capers to the same skillet. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, or until it has reduced by about half.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter until it has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Place the chicken breasts back into the skillet, spooning the sauce over the top. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Tips or Suggestions
Serve chicken piccata with pasta or mashed potatoes for a delicious and satisfying meal. You can also add some chopped garlic to the sauce for extra flavor.
This classic chicken piccata recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any occasion. With its tangy, savory sauce made with lemon, capers, and white wine, this dish is sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for more. Try it out for your next dinner party or a simple weeknight meal, and enjoy the delicious flavors of Italian cuisine in the comfort of your own home.