- Serves 6
- 25 mins to prepare and 40 mins to cook, 40 mins to cool
- 281 calories / serving
- large pinch saffron strands
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube, made up to 600ml
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 125g chorizo, roughly chopped,
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or a mix), chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 250g Spanish paella rice
- 4 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 75g frozen peas
- 250g cooked prawns with shells on (thawed if frozen) and rinsed
- handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- chopped lemon wedges, to serve
- Set aside to infuse the saffron threads in the stock while you finish the rest of the paella.
- In a paella pan or a big deep frying pan with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add the chorizo and cook for 3 minutes, or until crisp and oil has been released.
- Remove the chorizo from the pan and drain on paper towels, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Stir the chicken into the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes over high heat, or until browned and cooked through.
- Place the chicken in a mixing basin and put it aside.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil into the pan, add the chopped onion and garlic, and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and beginning to colour.
- With the remaining tablespoon of oil, add the pepper and paprika and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- On the bottom of the pan, there should be a lot of crispy, brown bits, which will all add flavor.
- Quickly stir in the rice to cover it in the oil, then pour in the saffron-infused stock and 450ml boiling water, scraping up the sticky brown pieces from the bottom pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan with the browned chicken pieces.
- Cook, covered, for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring once or twice.
- Scatter the peas, prawns, and fried chorizo on top, cover, and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, or until the rice is just done and the liquid in the pan has been absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover it, and set it aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Toss the ingredients together a few times to combine them, season to taste, and top with chopped parsley.
- If desired, garnish with lemon wedges and a dab of extra virgin olive oil.
No results for your search, please try with something else.
Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.