Carrot cake is a classic dessert that everyone loves. But have you ever tried a coconut carrot cake with cream cheese frosting? The combination of shredded coconut and carrots gives this cake a tropical twist, while the cream cheese frosting adds richness and tanginess. It's a perfect dessert for any occasion, whether it's a birthday, holiday, or just a weekend treat. In this article, we'll show you how to make this delicious coconut carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch cake pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and vegetable oil until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the shredded carrots, shredded coconut, and vanilla extract until evenly distributed.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy and smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Once the cakes have cooled, place one cake layer on a cake plate or stand. Spread a layer of frosting on top.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting and spread another layer of frosting on top and around the sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of the frosting, if desired.
- Slice and serve.
Tips and Variations
- You can add chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, to the cake batter for extra crunch and flavor.
- If you prefer a less sweet frosting, you can reduce the amount of powdered sugar in the recipe.
- For a more tropical flavor, you can add a tablespoon of rum or coconut rum to the cake batter.
- This cake can also be made as cupcakes. Just fill cupcake liners with the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- If you don't have shredded coconut, you can use sweetened or unsweetened flaked coconut instead.
This coconut carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is a delicious twist on a classic dessert. The combination of coconut and carrots gives the cake a tropical flavor, while the cream cheese frosting adds richness and tanginess. Whether you're making it for a special occasion or just as a weekend treat, this cake is sure to impress. Give it a try and see for yourself!