Cranberry-Glazed Squash And Feta Galette Recipe
- Serves 6
- 15 mins to prepare and 1 hr to cook
- 520 calories / serving
- 1 long-necked butternut squash (about 800g), peeled, halved lengthways and deseeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10g fresh thyme, 5g leaves picked, 5g whole sprigs
- 10g fresh sage, 5g finely chopped, 5g whole leaves
- 120g feta, 80g finely crumbled, 40g coarsely crumbled
- 2 tbsp. plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 500g block puff pastry
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube, made up to 600ml
- 1 tbsp. milk, for glazing (optional)
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4 tbsp. cranberry sauce
- 3 tbsp. roasted chopped hazelnuts
- To separate the bulb from the neck, cut the squash halves in half.
- Chop the bulb into 2cm chunks and combine with the thyme leaves and chopped sage in a covered pan.
- Season and pour in enough boiling water to cover the squash.
- Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Return to the pan after draining, keeping the garlic and herbs.
- Allow to steam for 1 minute before blending into a purée using a stick blender.
- Allow to cool slightly before folding in the coarsely crushed feta cheese. .
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C, and place a baking sheet in the center to heat.
- Cut the squash necks into 1-2mm thick semi-circles, mix with 1 tablespoon oil, and put aside.
- Roll out the pastry to a 35cm square, about 5mm thick, on a lightly floured work surface.
- Remove the offcuts from the pastry and cut it into a rough circle. Place on a baking pan to cool.
- Fill the crust with the squash purée, leaving a 5cm border around the edges. . Using the back of a spoon, smooth up the mixture.
- Arrange the finely cut squash pieces in a spiral, starting on the outside and moving inwards.
- Bring the border pastry edges over the tart, slightly overhanging the filling; glaze with milk, if desired.
- Transfer the tart on the baking sheet using the paper.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the crust is puffy and golden brown. .
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil and cook the onion and carrot for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Cook for 1 minute after adding 2 tbsp flour. Combine the stock, rosemary, remaining thyme, and half of the sage leaves in a large mixing bowl.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and become glossy, adding a little water if you prefer a thinner gravy.
- Season with salt and pepper, then whisk in 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce.
- To glaze the galette, heat 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce in a small saucepan (or bowl) over low heat (or in the microwave) until runny.
- To remove any fruit, sieve into a small bowl. Brush the glaze over the squash, then tuck the remaining sage leaves in and put the remaining feta on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the feta is golden and the squash poked with a knife is soft.
- Strain the gravy into a jug and serve with the galette and hazelnuts strewn on top.
No results for your search, please try with something else.
Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.