Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with our Creamy Tuna Casserole recipe. This classic dish combines tender noodles, savory tuna, and a creamy sauce to create a satisfying meal that the whole family will love. Whether you're looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a potluck crowd-pleaser, this recipe is sure to hit the spot. Get ready to enjoy the warmth and deliciousness of this comforting casserole!
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 2 cans (5 oz each) tuna, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Special instructions or substitutions
- Substitute egg noodles with your preferred pasta shape or gluten-free noodles.
- Feel free to use fresh peas instead of frozen if available.
- If you prefer a lighter version, you can use low-fat milk and reduce the amount of cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and chicken broth until smooth. Continue cooking and stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Add the dried thyme, dried parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the drained tuna, peas, and cooked egg noodles. Gently mix until well coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips for Variations and Serving
- Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce or Dijon mustard to the sauce for an extra depth of flavor.
- Incorporate other vegetables like diced carrots, bell peppers, or corn for added color and nutrition.
- Top the casserole with buttered breadcrumbs or crushed potato chips for a crispy texture.
- Serve the creamy tuna casserole with a side salad or steamed vegetables to round out the meal.
Warm your heart and satisfy your cravings with our Creamy Tuna Casserole. This easy-to-follow recipe brings together classic ingredients to create a comforting and delicious dish that will delight your taste buds. With its creamy texture and savory flavors, this casserole is a true crowd-pleaser. Embrace the nostalgia and enjoy the goodness of homemade comfort food tonight!