- Serves 20 (makes 600g)
- 10 mins to prepare and 40 mins to cook
- 105 calories/serving
- 275g whole rolled oats
- 100g soft dried apricots, chopped
- 75g soft dried figs, chopped
- 50g dried apple slices, chopped
- 60g soft pitted dates, chopped
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 5 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to gas 2, 150°C, fan 130°C.
- Line a large baking tray (or 2 medium trays) with baking paper.
- Add all the ingredients except the egg whites to a large bowl and mix to evenly distribute the fruits, coconut, and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they create soft peaks, then mix into the oat mixture until everything is well coated and sticking together.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking tray (or trays), leaving some larger clumps and some smaller.
- Bake for 40 mins, stirring after 30 mins until golden brown and holding together in clusters.
- Cool completely on the tray, then transfer to an airtight container until ready to serve.
- The oats will keep for up to 1 week.
Tip: You may easily swap your favorite dried fruits in this recipe; keep it simple with raisins and sultanas, or go for a tropical twist with dried pineapple and mango.