Are you in the mood for a classic Southern dish? Look no further than this delicious and spicy Cajun Shrimp and Grits recipe! Featuring tender, sautéed shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce, served over creamy grits, this dish is sure to impress your taste buds and satisfy your hunger.
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Start by cooking the grits. In a medium saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Slowly stir in the grits and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grits are creamy and tender. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with Cajun seasoning and add them to the skillet. Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side, until they are pink and opaque. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook the roux for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it is light brown in color.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth until the mixture is smooth. Add the diced tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes, until it has thickened and the vegetables are tender. Add the cooked shrimp to the skillet and stir to coat them in the sauce.
- To serve, spoon the grits into bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Enjoy this delicious and spicy Cajun Shrimp and Grits recipe with friends and family! It's perfect for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner that's sure to please everyone.