Celebrate the flavors of fall with this delicious pumpkin carrot cake recipe. Warm pumpkin spice and sweet carrots come together in this moist cake, topped with tangy cream cheese frosting. This recipe is perfect for any fall occasion or just as a sweet treat to enjoy on a cozy evening.
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrots
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the grated carrots until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the cream cheese frosting evenly over the top of the cake.
- Optional: garnish the top with additional grated carrots or chopped pecans.
Tips and variations
- If you want a denser cake, use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour.
- For a gluten-free version, substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- Add a teaspoon of orange zest to the frosting for an extra citrusy flavor.
- Top the cake with chopped walnuts or pecans for a crunchy texture.
This pumpkin carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is a delicious and festive dessert that's perfect for fall celebrations or just as a sweet treat to enjoy on a cozy evening. With its warm pumpkin spice and tangy cream cheese frosting, this cake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the flavors of fall!