Easy griddled waffles recipe
- Serves 4
- 10 mins to prepare and 20 mins to cook
- 322 calories/serving
- 230g self-raising flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Two large eggs
- 350ml semi-skimmed milk
- 90g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for greasing
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and melted butter in a large jug.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and whisk in the egg mixture until combined.
- Grease a griddle pan (about 20cm square) with butter and put over medium heat.
- When the butter starts to foam, pour half the batter to cover the base of the pan.
- Cook for 5 mins or until lightly golden; you should be able to lift the waffle gently with a spatula and see clear griddle lines showing on the underside.
- Carefully flip the waffle over (the easiest way to do this is to slide the waffle out onto a large, flat tray or plate, place the pan over the top and invert it to flip the waffle back into the pan with the cooked side on top) and cook for another 5 mins on the other side.
- Transfer to a warmed plate and keep warm while repeating with the remaining batter.
- Cut each waffle into four and serve 2 per person with your choice of toppings (see suggestions below).
Serving suggestions: For sweet waffles, try drizzling with a bit of honey, maple syrup, jam, or nut butter, sprinkling with cinnamon sugar, or serving with a dollop of yogurt and fresh fruit or compote. You could also try adding a little crunch with some chopped nuts, toasted seeds, or some of your favorite granola.
For a savory dish, you could try topping with avocado slices, fried or poached eggs, crispy bacon, or smoked salmon.
You could even try turning these waffles into a hearty leading and serving them American-style with fried chicken and maple syrup or serving them as an indulgent pud with a scoop of ice cream, caramelized bananas, and lashings of chocolate sauce.
Tip: For a leisurely breakfast, you can make the waffles ahead and store them in an airtight container overnight. Transfer to a baking tray or dish and cover loosely with foil. Warm through at gas 4, 180°C, and fan 160°C for 15 mins before serving.