Lemon bars with a buttery shortbread crust are the perfect treat for any citrus lover. These bars are a classic dessert that is simple to make but looks and tastes impressive. In this recipe, we will show you how to make the perfect lemon bars with a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread crust.
For the shortbread crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the lemon filling:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides.
- To make the shortbread crust, combine the flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender or your hands until the mixture is crumbly and sticks together when pressed.
- Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool while you prepare the filling.
- To make the lemon filling, whisk together the sugar and flour in a large bowl. Add the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest, and whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the lemon filling over the cooled shortbread crust and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is set and no longer jiggly.
- Allow the lemon bars to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, dust the top of the bars with powdered sugar.
- Using the overhang of the parchment paper, lift the bars out of the pan and transfer them to a cutting board. Cut into squares or rectangles and serve.
- Make sure to use fresh lemon juice and zest for the best flavor.
- For an extra burst of lemon flavor, add an extra tablespoon of lemon zest to the filling.
- These bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
These lemon bars with a shortbread crust are a crowd-pleasing dessert that are perfect for any occasion. They are easy to make and can be prepared in advance, making them a great option for parties and gatherings. With their tangy and sweet flavor, these lemon bars are sure to be a hit with everyone who tries them.