- Serves 10 (makes 10)
- 30 mins to prepare, plus soaking
- 231 calories / serving
- 150g (5oz) pitted dates
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 50g (2oz) rolled oats
- 50g (2oz) hazelnuts
- 50g (2oz) almonds
- 150g (5oz) mixture dried fruit, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place the dates in a basin with enough boiling water to cover them. Allow 30 minutes for softening before draining and storing the water. In a food processor, combine the dates, honey, and 3 tablespoons of the soaking water. Blend until completely smooth.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Combine the date mixture, additional ingredients, and a touch of salt, if desired, in a mixing bowl until the mixture just holds together. If required, add a bit more water. Using baking paper, line a 20x20cm (8x8in) baking pan.
- Invert the container and press the mixture inside. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until firm and brown. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing and cutting into 10 bars with a sharp knife. Allow to cool completely before using. Keeps for up to 5 days in an airtight tin.
Tip: Experiment with different dried fruit flavors, such as apricot, cranberry, currants, dried pears, apples, and raisins.