Green pasta recipe
- Serves 4
- 5 mins to prepare and 20 mins to cook
- 524 calories/serving
- 350g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 200g frozen peas
- Four garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 15g fresh basil
- 60g cashew nuts
- One lemon, zested and juiced
- 300g wholewheat spaghetti
- 80g sliced curly kale
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil and cook half the broccoli for 4 mins; add half the peas after 1 min.
- Drain, reserving the cooking water. Refresh under the cold tap and drain again.
- Put the cooked vegetables in a small food processor with half the garlic, 2 tbsp oil, the basil stalks and most of the leaves, the cashews, lemon zest and juice, and 1 tbsp water.
- Blitz to form a sauce, stopping now and then to scrape down the sides. Season to taste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the remaining garlic and fry for about 2 mins, shaking the pan, until the garlic begins to sizzle and has turned pale golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper – the garlic will become crisp as it cools.
- Bring the cooking water back to the boil, topping up if needed, and add the pasta.
- Simmer for 7 mins, then add the kale, remaining broccoli, and peas and simmer for 3-4 mins until the pasta is al dente and the veg is tender. Drain, reserving 150ml cooking water.
- Return to the saucepan and stir in the sauce and reserved cooking water, tossing to coat thoroughly.
- Divide between 4 bowls or plates, topping with the crisp garlic and reserved basil leaves for serving.
Tip: Freeze any leftover pesto and use it at a later date.