Indulge in the sweet flavors of honey and fresh strawberries with this delectable strawberry shortcake recipe. Topped with creamy homemade whipped cream, this dessert is sure to impress.
For the shortcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the strawberries
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cold butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, honey, vanilla extract, and egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 1-inch thick disk. Use a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter to cut the dough into circles. Place the circles onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the shortcakes are baking, prepare the whipped cream by combining the heavy cream, honey, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, mix together the sliced strawberries and honey.
- To assemble the shortcakes, slice each one in half and spoon a dollop of whipped cream onto the bottom half. Top with a spoonful of the strawberry mixture and replace the top half of the shortcake. Serve immediately.
- For a fun twist, try using a biscuit cutter to create heart-shaped shortcakes.
- If you prefer a sweeter shortcake, increase the amount of honey in the dough recipe.
- This recipe can also be made with other types of berries, such as raspberries or blueberries.
Experience the perfect combination of sweet and creamy with this honey strawberry shortcake recipe. It's sure to be a hit with anyone who tries it!