- Serves 4
- 10 mins to prepare and 15 mins to cook
- 298 calories / serving
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- handful rosemary, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 x 500g pack polenta, cubed
- vegetarian hard cheese or Parmesan shavings, to serve
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
- Cook for 1 minute after adding the garlic, then add the beans, stock, and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove half of the mixture and puree it with a stick blender.
- Stir it to the soup.
- Season to taste with the lemon zest and juice.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat the remaining oil.
- Fry the polenta cubes for 2-3 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden and crisp on all sides.
- Ladle the soup into dishes and top with polenta croutons, additional rosemary, and cheese shavings to serve.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
After making the soup, let it aside to cool to room temperature. Freeze for up to 1-3 months (without garnishes or toppings) in a hard container with some room for expansion. Reheat from frozen or thaw overnight in the fridge. Serve with toppings or garnishes after the soup is steaming hot.