- Serves 6
- 1 hr 25 mins
- 424 calories / serving
- 2 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp frozen garlic
- olive oil
- 650g frozen sliced mushrooms
- 400g tin green lentils
- 400g tin quality plum tomatoes
- 450g dried fusilli
- 60g Cheddar
- a few rosemary sprigs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil in a large, shallow casserole pan over medium-low heat
- Trim the carrots, peel the onion, and finely chop everything before adding it to the pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until the frozen garlic is lightly brown and melted.
- A handful of the frozen mushrooms should be set aside to defrost later. Increase the heat to high, add the frozen mushrooms to the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Toss in the lentils (juices and all), tomatoes, and 1 can of water, mashing everything together with a potato masher.
- Season to taste, cover, and cook over a low heat for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a splash of water if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 with 10 minutes to go. Cook the fusilli for a few minutes fewer than the packet directions in a big pot of boiling salted water, then drain, reserving a mugful of the starchy cooking water.
- Toss the pasta in the vegetable Bolognese, loosening with a tablespoon or two of the leftover cooking water if necessary - you want the sauce to be rather loose so that the pasta continues to cook in the sauce in the oven.
- Finely grate the Cheddar over the top of the mixture in a 25cm x 30cm baking dish. Place the reserved mushrooms on top using kitchen paper or a clean tea towel.
- If used, pick the rosemary leaves and mix them in 12 tablespoons of oil before laying them on top. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the top is bubbly and crispy. Served with a rocket salad, it's delicious.
Easy swaps: Use whichever spaghetti shapes you have on hand (even odds and ends from different packets).
Tip: Portion out the ingredients and freeze them until you're ready to bake them in the oven.