Kale mac and cheese recipe
- Serves 4
- 5 mins to prepare and 45 mins to cook
- 429 calories/serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- One onion, finely chopped
- 180g pack curly kale, shredded, tough stems removed
- Two garlic cloves, crushed
- pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- 225g wholewheat penne
- 250ml milk
- One vegetable stock cube made up to 250ml
- 20g cornflour, mixed with 3 tbsp cold water
- 150g 30% reduced-fat extra mature cheese, grated
- ½ tsp English mustard powder
- 150g 0% fat Greek-style yogurt
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, and fan 180°C. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat and fry the onion and kale for 8 mins, adding a splash of water to stop the kale from sticking.
- Stir through the garlic and cayenne for the last min. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta for 2 mins less than the pack instructions. Drain well.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan, bring just to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir through the stock and cornflour paste.
- Heat for 1-2 mins until thickened, then remove from the heat.
- Toss 125g cheese with the mustard powder, then stir into the milk mixture until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the yogurt and season lightly. Add the pasta and veg and carefully stir to coat.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish, scatter with the remaining cheese, and bake for 20 mins until golden and bubbling.
Get ahead: Makeup to the end of step 4, then freeze. To reheat, defrost overnight in the fridge, then continue from step 5.