- Serves 4
- 5 mins to prepare and 25 mins to cook
- 499 calories/serving
- 500g new potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Four wild sockeye salmon fillets (about 130g each) from the fish counter
- 60g smoked bacon lardons
- 200g frozen peas
- Four spring onions, finely sliced
- 200ml crème fraîche
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp drained capers, roughly chopped
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, and fan 200°C. Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 20-25 mins, until tender.
- Drain and return to the pan. Using the back of a fork, lightly crush the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, rub 1 tbsp of the oil over the salmon fillets, put on a baking sheet lined with foil, and season.
- Roast in the oven for 8-10 mins until cooked.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat.
- Add the lardons and stir-fry for 4-5 mins, until crisp.
- Add the potatoes and fry for 1 min to color.
- Mix in the peas and cook, occasionally stirring, for 1-2 mins until defrosted and heated.
- Heat the remaining oil in a separate frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the spring onions and cook, occasionally stirring, for 2-3 mins to soften.
- Mix in the crème fraîche, mustard, dill, and capers, adding a dash of water if the sauce seems thick.
- Season and bring to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- To serve, divide the salmon and potatoes between 4 plates and spoon over the sauce.
- Garnish with a little chopped dill and lemon wedges on the side.
Use up leftover bacon lardons, capers, and crème fraîche in a warming stew. Fry the lardons with onion and garlic, brown off, chop up a few sausages, and pop in a casserole dish with a tin of chopped tomatoes and a handful of green and black olives. Cook for 40 mins, then serve with rice and a sprinkling of parsley for a satisfying evening meal.