- Serves 6
- 5 mins to prepare and 25 mins to cook
- 157 calories/serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 red peppers, sliced,
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 slices brown bread
- 60g Cheddar, grated
- 200ml light or regular coconut milk
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Make 750ml stock in a jug with the stock cube and boiling water.
- Season with pepper and pour into the pan with the sweet potato, carrots, peppers, and tomatoes.
- Cook for 20 minutes with the cover on the pan.
- Turn the grill to medium-high heat.
- After toasting the bread, spread the cheese on one side of each slice and broil until it melts.
- Using a cookie cutter or scissors, cut star patterns out of each piece of toast.
- Blend the soup till smooth, then add the coconut milk and black pepper to taste.
- Toss everything up thoroughly, then ladle it into dishes.
- Add the cheesy stars and a pinch of black pepper to the soup.
The soup will keep in the fridge for up to a week, so it's ideal to have on hand for hungry kids when they return home from school.
Use leftover coconut milk in cereal, smoothies, or freeze in ice cube trays until you're ready to make this recipe again.