Pear breakfast buns recipe
- Serves 8
- 30 mins to prepare and 30 mins to cook, plus rising and proving
- 436 calories / serving
- 475g white bread flour, plus extra for kneading and rolling
- 20g caster sugar
- 1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 50g unsalted butter
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 egg, beaten
For the filling
- 20g unsalted butter, softened
- 60g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Conference pear, peeled, cored, and diced
- 100g walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Mix the flour and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the sugar and yeast.
- Melt the butter in a pan with the milk; pour into the well with the egg. Mix with a knife to form a dough, then knead on a floured surface for 10 mins, or until smooth and springy.
- Put in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm, and leave in a warm place for 2-3 hrs until doubled in size.
- Lightly grease a 23cm springform tin. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 1cm thick rectangle, roughly 25cm x 35cm.
- To make the filling, spread the butter over the dough and top with the sugar, cinnamon, pear, and walnuts.
- Roll the dough into a tight cylinder from one of the long sides. Trim the ends, cut into 8 slices, and arrange 7 around the edge of the tin and 1 in the middle.
- Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place for up to 1 hr until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, and fan 170°C. Bake the buns on a baking tray for 25 mins.
- Melt the jam in a pan with 1 tsp water, then brush over the buns. Serve warm.
Top tip: Turn out the buns while they're still warm to prevent them from sticking to the tin.