Slow cooker apple crumble recipe
- Serves 4
- 14 mins to prepare and 3 hrs 30 mins to cook
- 519 calories / serving
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 orange, zested and half juiced
- 60g rolled oats
- 50g walnut pieces
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 75g plain flour
- 85g light muscovado sugar
- 90g unsalted butter, melted
- Put the slices of apple in a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the ground cinnamon, orange zest, and 1 tbsp juice and mix together.
- Put the oats and walnuts into a food processor and pulse a few times to give the texture of very coarse breadcrumbs. Pour into a bowl.
- Stir the ginger, flour, and sugar into the oat and walnut mixture, then add the butter and mix well.
- Spoon the crumble mix over the apples, covering them all. Lay two sheets of kitchen paper or roll them on top of the crumble.
- Cover with the slow cooker lid and cook on low heat for 3½ hrs.
- Remove the kitchen paper and cook for the last 10 mins with the lid just slightly ajar.
Tip: Laying a kitchen roll on top of the crumble helps prevent condensation from dripping back onto the crumble, giving you a more crisp crust.