Sweet Butternut Pie With Pecan Pastry Recipe
- Serves 10
- 1 hr 45 mins plus chilling
- 316 calories / serving
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and diced into 3cm pieces (about 350g)
- 4 medium eggs, 3 separated
- 125g light soft brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 250ml evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml whipping cream, to serve (optional)
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour
- 50g pecans, toasted
- 110g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 30g icing sugar
- 1 medium egg
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the butternut squash is soft when poked with a knife. Drain the water and set it aside to cool. Drain the water and set it aside to cool.
- Prepare the puff pastry in the meantime. In a food processor, blitz the flour and pecans until fine. Pulse in the butter, icing sugar, and egg until everything comes together in a dough.
- If necessary, add 1 tbsp of water at a time. Refrigerate for 30 minutes after wrapping in clingfilm.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. To line a 25cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tin, roll out the pastry between two pieces of baking paper to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Trim the sides and lightly puncture with a fork before lining with baking paper and filling with baked beans.
- Remove the baking beans, brush with egg white, and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden; leave aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C (gas 3) and 150°C (fan).
- In a food processor, blitz the cooled squash to a purée. . Blitz again with the egg and yolks until the mixture is pale and smooth.
- Add the sugar, spices, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract and whiz until everything is combined.
- Fill the pastry case with the filling and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the filling is just set and no longer wobbles. Allow to cool completely in the tin before serving.
- If using, whip the cream to soft peaks and pile on top of the tart. If desired, serve with an extra sprinkle of nutmeg.
No results for your search, please try with something else.
Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.