- Serves 4
- 10 mins to prepare and 50 mins to cook
- 134 calories/serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 x 380g packs tomatoes on the vine, quartered
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 gluten-free vegetable stock cube, made up of 500ml hot water
- 2 tbsp half fat crème fraîche
- handful fresh basil leaves
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the onion, carrot, and garlic are cooked and starting to color.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, red wine vinegar, and bay leaf, then cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes soften.
- Bring the stock to a boil in the pan, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Reduce to low heat and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the tomatoes have totally collapsed.
- Remove the soup from the heat, discard the bay leaf, and mix until smooth with an electric hand whisk.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Pour the soup into four dishes and garnish with a swirl of crème fraîche and basil leaves.
Tip: Simply replace the swirl of crème fraîche with a dollop of dairy-free yogurt or serve with only the fresh basil to make this soup vegan.