- Serves 4
- 15 mins to prepare and 10 mins to cook
- 303 calories / serving
- 400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 3cm lengths
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 80g bag watercress, spinach and rocket salad
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 250g smoked mackerel, skin removed, flaked into pieces
- pickled ginger, to serve
For the dressing,
- 100g half-fat crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas 4), 160°C (fan 160°C). Combine the rhubarb, allspice, pepper, orange zest and juice, sugar, and oil in a roasting pan. Mix thoroughly. Roast for 10-12 minutes, or until the rhubarb is just soft but not mushy. Remove and set aside to cool.
- 1 tbsp water, plus any extra juices from the cooked rhubarb tray, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad leaves, cucumber, mackerel, and roasted rhubarb on 4 dishes. Serve with pickled ginger on the side.