- Serves 4
- 25 mins
- 208 calories/serving
- One large courgette cut lengthways into 1cm (1/2in) thick 'steaks.'
- One large aubergine cut lengthways into 1cm (1/2in) thick 'steaks.'
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp za'atar
- Two oranges, zested and juiced (approximately 200ml)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tamari
- Handful flat-leaf parsley leaves torn.
- green salad to serve
- Preheat a griddle pan until smoking, then turn to medium heat and brush the courgette and aubergine steaks generously with the oil.
- Combine the za'atar and orange zest and rub them on both sides of the steaks.
- Add the steaks to the griddle pan in batches and cook over high heat for 5-7 mins until charred on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate or serving board. Repeat until all the strips are cooked.
- Put the orange juice, maple syrup, and tamari in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Bubble for 8-10 mins until reduced and thickened. Pour over the steaks immediately, then garnish with the parsley and serve with a crisp green salad alongside.
Tip: To make za'atar, mix dried oregano, thyme, toasted sesame seeds, and a pinch of salt.